Mochi is a Japanese meal that has gained popularity in the US. There are different types of mochi in the market, some in frozen yogurt form, others in ice cream, and others in sugar coatings. It is not unlikely for those who are a big fan of mochi to find themselves giving their dog some of your mochis or even buying some for them.
But is mochi safe for dog consumption? A small amount of mochi is not bad for your dog, but when you give it in large amounts, it can cause stomach upsets. Mochi contains a lot of sugar, and dogs are not like humans; they have a problem digesting sugar.
Apart from that, your dog may be allergic to some of the ingredients used in making the mochi. So be careful and ensure all the ingredients in it are something that your dog can handle.
Read through this article to learn all you need to know about mochi and your dog. Also, you will get tips on what to do if your dog takes too much mochi.
What Exactly Is Mochi?
They are a traditional dessert taken in Japan, especially in the new year. They are little buns which are made from soft rice and cake. The rice in the mochi is steamed, pounded, and then mashed to the desired shape. They are filled with sticky rice mass with delish in them.
After they are filled and made in the desired shape, they are either baked or boiled. The main ingredient in the mochi is the short-grain japonica sticky rice. Other ingredients in it include water, corn starch, and water.
Lactose Intolerance in Dogs
Your dog can be lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance in dogs happens when the adult dog creates inadequate lactase enzyme amounts responsible for breaking down lactose. Your dog will then suffer if it consumes excess mochi, which contains more lactose than its digestive system can handle.
Once the lactose gets to the dog’s large intestines, it will absorb water. Then, your dog will diarrhea, which is disastrous if it continues.
Bacteria in the large intestines will begin using lactose for energy. This process has side effects, including creating lots of gas. In case your dog is lactose intolerant, you will note that it passes lots of gas, mucus in solid waste, vomiting, or diarrhea.
In the case of diarrhea, your dog loses lots of water and becomes weak. The general health of your dog will deteriorate from overeating mochi.
Dog Food Allergies and Mochi
Most dogs get food allergies due to excess consumption of dairy products. For other dogs, meat is the most common food that causes allergic reactions, and milk comes second.
The common signs of dogs having food allergies include:
- Persistent ear infections
- Recurring skin infections
- Non-seasonal itchiness
Whenever you feed your dog with mochi and observe any of these symptoms, it would be best if you stop. Sometimes the symptoms will appear as a combination.
A drip to give fluids
If your dog is affected by consuming mochi severely, the vet may decide to admit it. This is because vomiting and diarrhea lead to loss of body fluids. The intensive care for the dog includes a drip that will give it fluids.
A drip will put the crucial fluids directly into your dog’s bloodstream. The dog will get rehydrated, restoring them to health at an amazing speed. Often, dogs feel much better after getting the drip.